How to Care for a Dragon Fruit Plant
- Water. Dragon fruit need moist soil to mimic their subtropical environment, so be sure to keep the soil evenly moist and don’t let it dry out completely.
- Keep at temperature.
- 1 How do you take care of a dragon fruit plant?
- 2 How long does it take for a dragon fruit to bear fruit?
- 3 Do dragon fruit plants need a lot of water?
- 4 How do you make dragon fruit grow faster?
- 5 What is the best fertilizer for dragon fruit?
- 6 How much sun does a dragon fruit plant need?
- 7 What month does dragon fruit bloom?
- 8 How do I get my dragon fruit to flower?
- 9 Can you overwater dragon fruit?
- 10 Why are my dragon fruit leaves turning yellow?
- 11 What do you feed dragon fruit plants?
- 12 Is dragon fruit easy to grow?
- 13 Does dragon fruit have deep roots?
How do you take care of a dragon fruit plant?
- Place in a light shaded to bright environment. Avoid direct sunlight.
- Water more frequently than other cacti (approximately once every 2 weeks). Allow soil to dry between waterings.
- 12-27ºC (54-80ºF). Keep indoors, except USDA zones 10a to 11b.
- Not for human consumption.
How long does it take for a dragon fruit to bear fruit?
Plants can begin flowering in as little as six to eight months, although container-grown plants may take up to two years to bear fruit. The good news is that once the plant is mature, you could see four to six fruiting cycles a year from a plant that is capable of bearing fruit for 20 to 30 years.
Do dragon fruit plants need a lot of water?
The dragon fruit cactus is a tropical plant, which means it likes heat. Since it’s a cactus, many gardeners assume the pitaya doesn’t need much water. In fact, it likes its soil to be kept consistently moist and should be given about an inch (2.5 cm.) of water per week.
How do you make dragon fruit grow faster?
Dragon fruit needs sun to produce fruit so plant it in a full sun spot or a place that gets at least 6 hours of sunlight a day. When situated indoors, make sure your plant is in a warm and sunny spot. Unlike most cactus, dragon fruit likes to have its soil on the slightly moist side.
What is the best fertilizer for dragon fruit?
Choose a fertilizer with a balanced NPK ratio. However, most experts agree that some type of balanced fertilizer, like 16-16-16 or 13-13-13, is a good choice for your dragon fruit. You can use fertilizer granules, or spread fertilizer through your irrigation system. Slow-release fertilizer is also an option.
How much sun does a dragon fruit plant need?
Dragon fruit plants can grow from a cutting of a mature plant. To grow a dragon fruit from a cutting: Prepare the soil bed. Dragon fruit needs full sun—choose a sunny area in your garden or a sunny windowsill that gets at least six hours of sunlight a day —and good drainage to avoid “wet feet.”
What month does dragon fruit bloom?
This unique jungle plant typically blooms from early summer through mid-autumn. Dragon fruit cactus is a night blooming plant and the flowers last only one evening.
How do I get my dragon fruit to flower?
How to Induce Flowering in Dragon Fruit
- Move your plant into a greenhouse.
- Extend the length of daylight your dragon fruit plant receives.
- Train the dragon fruit plant up a trellis.
- Prune the tips of the plant’s uppermost stems after it climbs up the trellis.
Can you overwater dragon fruit?
Dragon Fruit’s Water Needs It’s still a cactus, however, so too much water is as bad as too little. Dragon fruit planted outdoors may get adequate water from the rain. To avoid overwatering, use a rain gauge to measure how much water Mother Nature gave your plant and then provide more only as needed.
Why are my dragon fruit leaves turning yellow?
Although dragon fruit is a type of cactus, too much sun can actually cause it to turn yellow. Dragon fruits like semi-tropical climate, meaning, not too much sun & not too much cold. Some folks say this is sunburn. You may see this more often in the summer when the outside temperature may be over 100F (38C).
What do you feed dragon fruit plants?
Fertilize plants once in early spring and again after the plants finish flowering with a water-soluble fertilizer such as 20-20-20. Mix 1 tablespoon of fertilizer for every gallon of water.
Is dragon fruit easy to grow?
It’s especially easy in warm environments, but if you have a greenhouse or sun porch, you can grow dragon fruit in colder environments. Dragon fruit is an exotic fruit, and in most of the southern US, you can grow a dragon fruit plant in pots on your patio if you’re careful to protect it from cold weather.
Does dragon fruit have deep roots?
Rooting for the Dragon Fruit The belowground roots are initially shallow, extending to 12 inches. However, when the plant starts fruiting, they have a growth spurt and can reach up to 24 inches into the soil.