To grow as a container plant, transplant a seedling into a pot with good drainage and use a cactus soil mix or one you blend yourself of sand and potting soil. Add compost to either mix. When the young dragon fruit is six inches tall, move it into a pot that is 15 to 24 inches wide and at least 10 inches deep.
- 1 How do you take care of a dragon fruit seedling?
- 2 How often do you water a dragon fruit seedling?
- 3 How do you make dragon fruit grow faster?
- 4 How fast does dragon fruit grow from seed?
- 5 Can dragon fruit be grown indoors?
- 6 How do you induce flowering in dragon fruit?
- 7 How long does it take for dragon fruit to bear fruit?
- 8 What is the best fertilizer for dragon fruit?
- 9 Should I pollinate dragon fruit?
- 10 Does dragon fruit have deep roots?
- 11 What do you feed dragon fruit plants?
- 12 What month does dragon fruit bloom?
How do you take care of a dragon fruit seedling?
Once planted, dragon fruit don’t need much special care to thrive:
- Water. Dragon fruit need moist soil to mimic their subtropical environment, so be sure to keep the soil evenly moist and don’t let it dry out completely.
- Keep at temperature.
How often do you water a dragon fruit seedling?
In fact, it likes its soil to be kept consistently moist and should be given about an inch (2.5 cm.) of water per week.
How do you make dragon fruit grow faster?
Dragon fruit needs sun to produce fruit so plant it in a full sun spot or a place that gets at least 6 hours of sunlight a day. When situated indoors, make sure your plant is in a warm and sunny spot. Unlike most cactus, dragon fruit likes to have its soil on the slightly moist side.
How fast does dragon fruit grow from seed?
If dragon fruit has intrigued you, the small seeds scattered throughout its flesh can be sprouted easily and grown into a dragon fruit plant of your own. Plants can begin flowering in as little as six to eight months, although container-grown plants may take up to two years to bear fruit.
Can dragon fruit be grown indoors?
You can grow the dragon fruit plant (Hylocereus undatus) indoors if your home has a location with plenty of sunlight, such as a sunroom or a large window where the plant gets six to eight hours of sunlight. Dragon fruit cactus is a vine that can grow up to 20 feet tall.
How do you induce flowering in dragon fruit?
How to Induce Flowering in Dragon Fruit
- Move your plant into a greenhouse.
- Extend the length of daylight your dragon fruit plant receives.
- Train the dragon fruit plant up a trellis.
- Prune the tips of the plant’s uppermost stems after it climbs up the trellis.
How long does it take for dragon fruit to bear fruit?
Flowering and Fruiting A healthy dragon fruit begins to produce fruit in as little as six months after the cutting stage.
What is the best fertilizer for dragon fruit?
Choose a fertilizer with a balanced NPK ratio. However, most experts agree that some type of balanced fertilizer, like 16-16-16 or 13-13-13, is a good choice for your dragon fruit. You can use fertilizer granules, or spread fertilizer through your irrigation system. Slow-release fertilizer is also an option.
Should I pollinate dragon fruit?
Dragon Fruit Pollination and Harvest They can be either self-pollinating, self-fertile or self-sterile, depending on the variety. If your variety is self-pollinating, the stigma will be very short, and close to the anthers, so no hand pollination is required, although this could increase fruit-set and size.
Does dragon fruit have deep roots?
Rooting for the Dragon Fruit The belowground roots are initially shallow, extending to 12 inches. However, when the plant starts fruiting, they have a growth spurt and can reach up to 24 inches into the soil.
What do you feed dragon fruit plants?
Fertilize plants once in early spring and again after the plants finish flowering with a water-soluble fertilizer such as 20-20-20. Mix 1 tablespoon of fertilizer for every gallon of water.
What month does dragon fruit bloom?
This unique jungle plant typically blooms from early summer through mid-autumn. Dragon fruit cactus is a night blooming plant and the flowers last only one evening.